Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange/DNS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notaro

MIS
May 21, 2002
US
rebling (MIS) Jun 25, 2003
OK, I have this problem that is driving me crazy. I have an NT 4 box running Exchange 5.5. On certain domains it tries to resolve and then send email to, it appends our domain to the end of it, which resolves to our web server and sends it to that server. Luckily this server is running the SMTP service and we have turned on forwarding so the mail goes out ok. Before we did that (turn on forwarding) we would get a 550 host unreachable error on our outlook client. Most email recipients resolve ok but a few here and there the server attaches our domain to the end (so it looks like conseco.com.ourdomain.com for example) and then sends it to the outside server. This is because our domain.com resolves to this outside server. I need to resolve why this is happening becuase the server is going to be going away soon. Anyone have any ideas? We are also running Mcafee Webshield. I'm not sure if this is the culprit.

it sounds like you may be using a cname. Which would not allow reverse dns lookup to operate correctly cuasing dnr's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back