Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Defrag 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diffy1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Hi!

I plan to defrag the mailbox store/add registry keys to update the 18gb limit and update the limits at the store level.

Only reason I plan to defrag is because Outlook can be slow to start-up on client PC's and occasionaly we get an 'Outlook is trying to receive ....' message/pop-up. Could a defrag be a fix? Is there something to be said for regular defrag - I did read that its good to have whitespace in a database.

Also when the registry key 'Database Size in Gb' is set is the 'Database Size Buffer in percentage' optional?

Many thanks

Defragging your Exchange database isn't going to affect your Outlook performance. If you're having performance issues, see what the logs say, and what the perfmon counters say.

Defrags aren't needed, and should never be part of any normal maintenance window. Ever. Ever. Seriously.

Leave the buffer sizing alone.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

It's not large mailboxes as much as it likely the number of items in key mailbox folders such as Inbox, Sent Items, etc. There are known performance issues, especially in legacy versions of Outlook, or 2007 without the performance tweak provided by the last Office service pack.

Assuming cached mode, Outlook performance is almost always client side.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Pat is correct. I used the wrong term. It is the number of items. I once had one of my managers complaining about how long it took to open Outlook. It turned out that he had more than 10,000 items in EACH of his Inbox and Sent Items folders. He never deleted anything. If he sent an e-mail to a staff member asking to see them and the staff member replied "OK" he saved both messages. Ditto if he sent an e-mail to his wife asking her to phone him.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Guys thanks for all your help - all taken onboard. We have 3rd party email tool that sits as an Outlook toolbar - this maybe the cause!

With regards to the mailbox store registry size increase - are there any other factors to be aware of. Backups the obvious one but a hike to 25Gb should cause any performance issues?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back