Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Connection Unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekSolutions

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2011
I was able to get my Exchange 2010 server up and running this weekend.

It appears to be running correctly. I can access owa, and through Outlook remotely and locally.

Problem is when I attempt to set up a new account offsite I get a error that says

The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

The local IP of the mail server is in the DMZ of the router and when I ping my mail server it returns with the proper IP address

I also get a similar error on android devices (phone) that says

Setup could not finish Cannot connect to server.

However my tablet that I configured on the LAN, which also runs android downloads email remotely.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm confused. Is your server in the DMZ? If so, get it out of there. It should be in the internal network.

Your public facing IP address should forward to your internal address of your server.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

When I say the IP is in the DMZ, I am not using a corporate router or firewall such as Cisco. the router is a WRT54GL, with DD-WRT

If I still need to remove it from the DMZ, what ports do I forward. Does exchange use different ports then POP, SMTP, IMAP etc?

I tried googleing your suggestion and did not find much. Does this need to be configured on exchange or do I just need to forward the ports and configure Outlook?

Have you published your Autodiscover and OWA/ECP/EAS URLs, and have your reverse proxy configured?

If so, forward the ports.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

I have created a CNAME in my public and private DNS as per this link

Are there other entries I need to make for autodiscover. I used this website to check autodiscover. It does point to the proper IP address for my mail server put it also points to the IP for my website.

What entries do I need to create for the others (OWA/ECP/EAS).

I am starting to feel real dumb. I have done so much googleing I feel like I am cross eyed now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Autodiscover seems to at least partially be working.

I enter my name, e-mail address and password. In a minute or so it gives almost the same error:
The connection cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

When I click on OK, I am taken to the window titled Microsoft Exchange, with only a General tab a text box to enter Microsoft Exchange Server and mailbox.

The exchange server address and e-mail address are both correct. However, the email addressed has =SMTP:email address

I attempted to configure the email account in Outlook (2010) and through the control panel (Mail, Microsoft Outlook Profiles).

Anybody have any ideas how I can get rid of the =SMTP: preceding <username@mydomain.whatever

I was able to get my Android devices to connect remotely. email, contacts calender etc sync with no problems. It is just windows clients I am having a problem with now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back