Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange AS PDC?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketlauncher

Programmer
Nov 11, 2000
US
Hello Everyone,

Hope someone can help me on this one.

I have Exchange Server 5.5.SP4 and my PDC on same compter.

What I want to do is separate the PDC service to another computer.

By doing the following:

1)Create a new BDC and synchronize with my Original PDC.
2)Promote the new BDC to PDC.(I'm assuming the Original PDC will be demoted automatically, or do I have to do somehting to be demoted)

The demoted PDC will have no other changes to it. It will be the same in every other sense, Name, Exchange, etc...

My question is: Is exchange will be still up and running or will I have some kind of conflict by dong this, since now it will be a BDC.

I just one to make sure exchange wil be still up and running ones it becoMes a BDC.

Is this posible??

Thanks in advance.

Rocket.

Exchange will work as a BDC perfectly well - you won't see any difference whatsoever.

When you promote another BDC to be PDC, you don't need to do anything to the old PDC, it will figure it out.

You will not have a problem with demoting the Exchange server to a BDC. A lot of companies loaded exchange server onto the PDC when they built their first networks and have since demoted the exchange server... you will be fine

Thank you very much guys for your replies. I will go ahead and demoted.

As I always have said this is the darn best forum.

Keep it up guys.

Thanks,
Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back