Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange as a Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbell533

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
Every place I have read was rather clear on not installing Exchange on a domain controller. My predecessors did not take that advice when setting up our Exchange server.

I would like to demote the server from a DC. There are 3 other DC's on the network.

What kind of problems might I experience taking a fully implemented Exchange 2000 Ent Server on a DC and demoting the server to a non-DC?

Thanks

If the server was the first DC in the domain, make sure that FSMO roles get transferred to another machine. You may wish to manually move these before you demote so you can pick which DC they move to. If your servers are on different parts of a WAN, you may want to look at getting a DC in the same site as your exchange server. Other than that, you should be fine.

To check where FSMO roles are and move them:
Open Active Directory Users & Computers, right-click on your domain and choose Operations Masters. You can see which machine has your FSMO roles and move them from there.

Marc Creviere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back