Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpaquin

MIS
Mar 2, 1999
CA
www.nfb.ca
In a couple of months we will connect our regional offices with a VPN and we will use their regional ISP for connecting them to our network. My question is: Do I have to install an Exchange server in each of those offices and configure them so they are part of our actual Exchange domain or is there a much simpler and less costly way of achieving the same goal wich is to make sure we stiil can email them and they still can email us without having them to maintain a personal address book with all the company's employees email address ?<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>Michel Paquin<br><a href=mailto:m.paquin@nfb.ca>m.paquin@nfb.ca</a><br><a href= National du Film du Canada</a><br>

Sure, just install an Exchange site at each location and use the X25 connector or the Internet connector to send mail to each other. The only problem is that each site is administered seperately. You can put in outbound routing so that mail that you send to other sites will be routed without having to use DNS to make the resolution.

So I don't have any choice but to install Exchange at each site ?<br>
<br>
Too bad. I hate the idea of leaving an Exchange server where people can 'experiment' with it. I have people that won't be shy to modify it without telling me...

You could set up one Exchange server and have the other site log in over the vpn to get their mail.<br>
<br>
Tool

Oh, I get it. Yeah, Tool has it. You can login either directly or utilize the web-access interface for exchange. It's about the most complete i've seen. Sorry for the confusion.

I use the solution you suggest (VPN to Exchange) but the volume of email is too great for even a few users unless they use Personal Folders to store email. Not an option here.

I, unfortunately, have to set up another exchange server at that office - different site and organization for political reasons here. If I move mailboxes using PSTs or whatever, how can I set up the site connectors so that the in/out email flows through the main server and the secondary server would basically just hold mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back