Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange and POP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

poowatzu

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2001
US
Can anyone give me a difinitive answer on this? Does Exchange 2000 support POP3? I've found some documentation that says yes and more that says no. My boss needs an answer and the more I research this, the more confused I get. Help...

When you say Yes it does...do mean it has its own POP3 connector?

No connector, POP3 is one of the natively supported protocols in Exchange. If you install Exchange, it can deliver mail via pop3 to clients out of the box.

If that works...that's nice.
Not to beat a horse...but does that mean no more MX A records being pointed to my server from my ISP?

Uh, no. POP3 is a client protocol. A client can use it to attach to a POP3 server to download mail to a local mailbox. The MX or Mail Exchange record is the pointer for SMTP to direct mail to be transferred to an SMTP server via an established internet domain. If you have inbound mail via smtp you either need a A record for a direct server connection or an MX record.

It definitely supports POP3. I am testing Exchange Server 2000 in our office. I saw your question, opened Outlook Express, set up a mail account, and click Send and Receive. Presto, all my test messages cam in.

Exchange Server and Outlook Express?
Never used that combo.

In Outlook express did you set up a pop3 account and smtp account? If you did, Exchange is not getting the email, OE is. If you just told OE to use Exchange for ALL email and did not setup Internet Email, then Exchange is handling POP3.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Glenn

Currently we have Exchange 5.5 at work, I recieve my email at home with OE5 from the exchange server using pop/smtp. Why would MS take it out of 2000? Webmail is also configed. Only dif is instead of pointing to pop.domain.com and smtp.domain.com We just have it setup to point to mail.domain.com but still connects to it as a POP3 server.

LCD

Dear Friends,

I have a domain kaybee.co.id,
I am using exchange server 5.5 and a dial-up account.
Can I use exchange popcon to download my emails and
trigger them respectively to their account such

edp@jkt.kaybee.co.id
kbjkt@jkt.kaybee.co.id

This will enable me to keep a continuous connection
or is there any other way by which i can keep a continuous
connection for whole day and sending and receiving goes
on with that. no need to disconnect and connect again and
again. I am looking for a continuous connection so that
I can use proxy server even to browse the internet with the
same internet connection.

Awaiting yr suggestions.

Regds
Manish

You can only use the pop3 connector for Exchange if you are using Microsoft Small Business Server 4.0/4.5 The pop3 connector for Exchange will not work on standalone copies of exchange 5.5

If you get a highspeed connection, then you can register a domain, establish an MX record and you are set. If you can only use dial up then I am affraid you have no other options that I am aware of.

Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back