Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange and DNS Server errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfPC

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2002
US
I have an Exchange 5.5 server that occassionally pops up a Dr. Watson error involving DNS server and the DNS server service is stopped and I have to start the service.
This also does not allow users to log on the exchange server for email and they can only work offline.
Where should I look to fix this?
Thanks

Try Microsoft Knowledge Base.
What is the Dr. Watson error message.

If the DNS is off line, the client can't resolve the exchange server name to its IP. That's common.

If you have just a DNS forwarder and no internal requirements, uninstall DNS then reinstall it. Then apply the service pack afterwards.

Ok. Thanks.
Now a dumb question - How do I uninstall DNS? Is it part of the service pack?

No. Right click net nei, Second tab I think. You'll see it say DNS service. There should be an uninstall button. Once you hit OK at the end it'll probably want bouncing. Repeat the procesure but this time install it, bounce again if required.

Before uninstalling, go to DNS Manager under Admin Tools and have a look at the entries for your domain. Note any of them (I take a screen shot and put that into my documentation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back