Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Agent for NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarra

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
DE
Hi,

We are running Exchange V5.5 sp4 on a Windows 2000 server and I would like to install an Arcserve Exchange agent.

I have the agent software but it's the Arcserve Exchange Agent for NT. Will this work OK on Windows 2000 and if not what agent version do I need to work with Arcserve NT Version 6.5 (Build 620) ?

Many thanks,

Rob.

I'm familiar with using ARCserve 2000 to backup Exchange 5.5 running on a Win NT or 2000 server with Database Exchange Agent v7.0.

The CA link Lists only NT but not Win2000 as a possible server platform when using Arcserve 6.5/ARCserveIT 6.6x and Exchange Database Agent v2.0/v6.6x. So, it appears that the answer is no. But you might want to go to the Computer Associates: ARCserve back-up forum in Tek-Tips to confirm this.

Also, ARCserve is very finicky, especially when backing up Exchange, so I would not recommend trying the set-up you mention (unless you have a non-production test server).

Finally, from various posts and comments from other users it appears that ARCserve is better than Veritas in a Novell environment, but Veritas is better than ARCserve in a Windows environment (just in case you need to evaluate buying another back-up package.)

Thanks for the info. It seemed to install OK on a test system but I still wouldn't chance it on our production environment. It looks like I can use our TSM system to do what I wanted to do.

Cheers,

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back