Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Agent & Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgv

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
Greetings. Im having trouble getting a clear answer on this.

I am backing up Exchange 2000 using the Exchange Agent (Brightstor Arcserve 11). I am doing full Information store as well as Brick level backups nightly.

Q: can I 'filter' the entire Exchange folder on the regular folder tree? I am already filtering the MDBDATA, but can I (or should I) filter the entire \EXCHANGE\ folder?

trying to reduce backup times here, and with info store and brick level backups, perhaps Im all set.

Thanks for any thoughts

Not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve, but if you have the Exchange DBAgent installed, then flat-file backup of the data files backed up by the Exchange agent should be automatically excluded, so that data is not backed up twice 9once as a filesystem, and once by the dbagent) and does not get file in use errors.

This behaviour can be configured by using the skipDSAfiles registry setting.

I said should be, as earlier unpatched versions prior to r11.1 didn't always do this.

Thanks for the reply.

OK... I'll take your word for it... that flat files backed up by the exchange agent are already skipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back