Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange address book question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2002
US
I have Exchange 2003 sp1, when I create a new user 1. I cant set them up in outlook 2. They are not showing up in the address book.

You must give Exchange time to replicate the new user entry to the global address list, normally this takes about 16 hours or so.
You can force it by rebuilding the global address list in Exchange.

You should be able to create the outlook mailbox right away. Are you creating the new user account on the Exchange server with an Exchange-enabled MMC? Perhaps there is a delay in replicating the newly-created user acct to your other DC's.
If you wait 20 mins, then can create the outlook mailbox, it is probably a replication delay. Use the Repadmin /syncall command included with the Windows Server Tools to speed things up w/ replicating a new AD change across DC's.

I have an account that was created last week and I cant even setup outlook for them. But owa works fine.

Your users are working in Cached mode, that is why you are not seeing them in the GAL. What you think is the GAL is really the OAB. Rebuild the OAB by right clicking Offline Address Book and choosing Rebuild from within Exchange System Manager.

You don't say if you are using SBS, however there was a bug that was fixed in the latest service packs that also affected the creation of mailboxes.

Either way, I would advise you to upgrade your system to SP2. If you previously installed IMF you will need to first uninstall that as SP2 includes it and the install will fail if IMF is installed.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back