Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 whit pop3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thecapri

Technical User
Jun 22, 2002
CA
Can anyone help me whit my problem i am trying to connect user on my exchange server 5.5 so that they can get there email form anywhere , like at home or on the road
send me or tell me how should i do it

sorry for my spelling but i an french

and thank you for your time

You have several options:
1. Use POP3
2. Use ordinary Outlook client through internet
3. Use Outlook Web Access

Personally i recommend the last option. Easiest option and from my point of view the most secure if it's set up the right way. To install it: Just run Exchange Server setup and choose custom setup and then mark Outlook Web Access.

I agree. OWA is the easiest for the user, (just be sure when your users are using another computer elsewhere that they don't save the login information and password while using Internet Explorer to log on.)

Also, if the administrator takes a few minutes to set-up POP3 email, then that's actually the easist for everyone, (just be sure to put a check mark in the "save copy of message on server" box, or all your new email will be erased when you return back to your office.)

Also, you could use RAS to dial into the server and then check your email as if you were sitting there in your office.

Dito - however IMAP4 is better than POP3, and we also I have SSL on OWA which adds more security.

Thank you For your help , ok i have Microsoft Back office 4.0 and exchange 5.5 i can pass trough the internet the smtp but the pop3 i cant maiby i did not configure correctely the pop3 and do i need a pop connector whit the exchange server

no. POP3 is one of the protocols that are by default enabled on site, server and recepients. You could choose to disable at diffrent levels. However you need to create an entry in your DNS so the external users could access or use the public IP directly.

ok an how i modify the dns , and the other point is that when i configur the outlook from my home it work only for sending email

pop3 = mail.mydomain.com
smtp = mail.mydomain.com

user =myusername
password= my password

i can send email but cant recived

Dude, don't use "mail.mydomain.com" on either the POP or SMTP address. Just simply put in your IP address on both and you will be able to send and receive. (Put a check mark in the box that reads, "save copy of email on server.")

ok the problem that i have is that i get a respond from the smtp but not from the pop3

i want to thank you all for your help but i was reading all your respond an then it struck me that the proplem was in the vpn i forgot to open pop3 inbount

thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back