Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5, VPN and Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2002
ZA
Hi,

I trying to setup Outlook 2000 client using a dialup to connect to an Exchange 5.5 server via VPN to be able to view and sync a users Mailbox and Public contacts folder.

Problem: Outlook hangs when setting up the user after selecting check name, when configuring on the client side.

VPN: I can connect and authenticate to the network, map network drives and access files..

RRAS is configured on on our Firewall box, which is where VPN is authenicated.

The exchange 5.5 server is on a separate box from the Proxy/VPN/RRAS box.

What I want to do:
Access users' mailbox and public folders..
The public folders are more important as it contains the company's contacts database.

What am I overlooking, I'm sure its something simple..

Also, I have tried entering exchange 5.5 server IP address in hosts file, but that doesn't work either.
We have no active WINS in place.

Awaiting your reply

Catcha Later

GrandMaster_S

====================================
Novell Netware 6:
CNA; CNE
Novell Netware 5:
CNA; CNE
Microsoft Windows NT4:
MCP; MCP+I; MCSE
Microsoft Windows 2000:
MCP; MCSA; MCSE
We cannot see the future. We can

The Outlook client connects to Exchange via the NETBIOS name. You might be able to get some initial response from the mail server by resolving the DNS name, but the actual connection will require NETBIOS.

You can either setup the VPN server so that it gives the VPN client an internal WINS server, or you can create an entry in the VPN client's LMHOSTS file pointing to the IP address of the Exchange server. Also make sure to use the #PRE parameter.

MAILSERVE 192.168.0.25 #PRE

Also, make sure you're not using the same subnet on both sides as that will cause problems.

thanx wallst32, I have done as instructed..

I can now setup the mailbox, check name successfully, but when I open the new Outlook profile, then Outlook hangs and doesn't respond..

produsa: using different subnets..I have tried from home as well..Same result..

Catcha Later

GrandMaster_S

Novell Netware 6:
CNA; CNE
Novell Netware 5:
CNA; CNE
Microsoft Windows NT4:
MCP; MCP+I; MCSE
Microsoft Windows 2000:
MCP; MCSA; MCSE