Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 TO 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

redman71

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
I'm running Exchange 5.5 on an NT4 machine. I've already upgraded my file server and have a Domain Controller running Active Directory. Right now, the Exchange box is in a separate domain, but I want to join it to my AD domain. I know in doing so, I have to upgrad the OS to 2K Server and I want to upgrade Exchange to 2K as well.

Does anyone know the best route to take? Should I just upgrade the OS on the existing machine, then upgrade Exchange? OR should I somehow try to migrate the Exchange 5.5 database and mailboxes to another box, wipe the existing box clean and do a fresh install of Win2K Server, then install Exchange 2K and import the 5.5 data to the Exchange 2K?

HELP!

Is the NT4 a PDC for that domain? Is it the only NT4 box in that domain?

No, we have one other NT box that is the PDC (authenticates users for Exchange). Once I upgrade, I know I don't need the PDC anymore. The DC will do the authentication.

Got any ideas?

there's a bunch of ways to do it actually. How many users do you have? If you don't have many, I would probably exmerge the database into pst's and start with a clean install of win2k and exchange 2k then create your users and exmerge the pst's into the new exch2k. I've seen a few ugly upgrades when everything's not just right in the original NT4 domain.
Just my $.02 though

Earle

About 200 mailboxes. A lot of custom recipient too. If I exmerge, will it get the users and the mail as well?

some are fairly large mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back