Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imashe

MIS
Jan 28, 1999
US
We run Exchange 5.5, SP4 on a Windows 2000, SP3 member server. I have successfully created a recovery server in a lab environment.

Veritas' procedure (v9.1) for restoring Exchange 5.5 from an online backup includes the following: "IMPORTANT: Make sure you restore the Exchange Server files (in the \EXCHSRVR directory)."

I inadvertently skipped this step, yet my Exchange recovery worked perfectly.

QUESTION: If I am performing an online restore of IS and DS, why would I need to restore the \EXCHSRVR directories?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

"The worst dilemmas are often the best opportunities in disguise."
'Carpe Diem'

I've never had to restore any files other than IS and DS (with logs if necessary) to recover an exchange 5.5 server.

As long as you have a restore server with the same version of Exchange and same service pack with System Attendant running Veritas can restore the server using only the IS and DS backups.

Thanks, freaktechnique. That's definitely helpful to me. Now if I could just find an official document from Microsoft or Veritas for my oh so particular boss!!

"The worst dilemmas are often the best opportunities in disguise."
'Carpe Diem'

freaktechnique is definitely correct, the only reason I could see for backing up the directories would be in a disaster recovery situation where you wanted to restore the whole machine (OS and all which I would never do anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back