Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 "Requesting Data..." on a local LAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crs4

MIS
Jun 10, 2002
US
Greetings:

I have a client that uses a Windows 2000 Server/Exchange 5.5 combo, and yesterday they called telling me that several employees had received "Requesting Data from the Microsoft Exchange Server" messages. One person said it took 20 minutes to send a single internal e-mail while another said it errored out and wouldn't let her send.
I am not very familiar with the Link Monitor feature in Exchange 5.5, and thus I'm not entirely sure whether or not it will log any info that's useful to me. Thanks a bunch in advance for any help you can give.

CRS - Network Technician/Quasi-Administrator

"Truth is incontrovertable. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

Hi

the first thing i would do is get the user to ping the exchange server and see what the return rate is, if the latency is to high outlook will display "Requesting Data from the Microsoft Exchange Server" the clients may have problems communication with the exchange server (a network issue), i would not be suppried if the clients having issues are on the same switch/segment, that where i would start looking

thanks

I have something similar and have yet to find a good answer. Exchange traffic talks RPC and you can use a tool called RPCping. It is on the 5.5 CD or you can find it through technet. You run it on both the client and server and eventually so the RPC timeout (and the requesting data at the same time!). OK, so now what?

Our server is hosted and get this all the time especially when we hit send, so I suspect a problem in the GAL. I verified the RPC dies, but have yet to find any good info why.

There is another thread thread858-464716 it's about 2000 but that does not matter in this case, principle is the same. If the answer is here, mark it, others can benefit from it too.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!

yes there is a solution you have to change the registry on each client , or via a script , i have the same problem and ithing you can found it in microsoft site as request time out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back