Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschock

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
I have a public folder that people post messages to. What I want to be able to do is when there is new postings in this folder I would like it to send a message to other accounts that there is a new message in it. The users are on Outlook 2000 and 2002.

Hi Brontosaurus,

Sorry to seem stupid, but what am I looking for when in the properties of that particular folder.
Thanks,
cschock.

Now I really am stupid.

I should be doing this at the server right? When I get the properties on the public folder, I don't have any of those options. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

hehe, no, you're not stupid. It's a common mistake to think that Public folder manipulation is done via Exchange admin. You should be doing this through an Outlook client, using an ID that has Owner permissions to the public folder in question.

Thanks Brontosaurus!

I did as you said but now when I want to save it I get the following message: "Changes to the rule could not be saved. You do not have the Send AS permission required to create a Reply With Template rule for this public folder".

I have all the permissions I should need (yes the "send as" is checked), where do I go from here?

Thanks,
C.

Err...the "send as" is checked in Exchange Admin on the properties of the folder in question?

and the OWNER of the folder is the with "Send As" permission via Exchange admin, yes?

It seems to be accepting this rule, however the rule I set up (testing it for now) has a reply message (template) sent back to me when I post to this folder. I can post to it, but I get no reply message from the rule that I set up.

Sorry to be such a pain!
C.

try something without the template, like having the public folder forward back to you the message that you posted. If that works, it's a template issue...

Hi again Brontosaurus!

I finally got it to work with your help. The rule was messed up because I have the "From and To" (actually just the "To") part of the rule to selective. I elminated the user in the To (left it blank) and I got both a forward and reply message sent to my account. If this is the proper way to do this (let me know) then I can change a few items and put it into production. I will wait patiently for your reply.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!
C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back