Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 OWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

marig

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
US
I have a strange Outlook Web Access problem.

Exchange 5.5, IIS4, Using Challenge Response Authentication.

I have a user in the UK trying to access his email here in US. He gets the Yellow Exchange screen and puts in his mailbox, but then never gets the dialog box to enter user id, password, and domain. Anyone ever see this?

The user is using IE 5.5 on an HP Vectra pc. He never gets an error, never gets a chance to log in.

Ideas? Thanks

Try checking his alias name in Exchange properties of his profile. Make sure he is entering the correct alias name and make sure nothing has changed with the alias. That's all I can think of.

I'm wondering if this has to do with ASP or something Java related? When I use the AOL browswer to try to access OWA, I think I'm getting the same thing my user is getting: no login dialog box. I remember reading somewhere that the AOL browser doesn't support java or asp or something like that and that's why you can't use it with OWA. Perhaps my user's browser has ASP or JAVA turned off? Is there a website I can point him to to double check if that's the issue?

Thanks for any & all advice.

I guess the best thing would be to go with SSL, right?

I'm not sure about AOL, never used it. If you know his password you can try yourself to login as him from your browser. If you can get in than perhaps he needs to update his AOL maybe to the latester version. If you can't get in than it is probably something else. But try logging in from your browser as him first to see if you can get in.

You have to use IE. AOL browser will not work. Have him connect with AOL and minimize and try accessing with the IE browser. He should have at least version 4 on up to use and hopefully patched.

Dev

I think I wasn't very clear. My user is in the UK. He says he is using IE 5.5. After he gets the yellow screen to put in his mailbox\alias he never sees any login dialog box [where you put username, password, and domain]. He gets blank, white page with the following text in the "location" in the browser:

mailserver>/exchange/LogonFrm.asp?isnewwindow=0&mailbox=<his mailbox name>

Since I can't fly to the UK to look over his shoulder, I am trying to replicate the problem here. Again, I reiterate that my user says he is using IE 5.5, I have no idea who his ISP is. The closest I come to replicating the problem here is by using the AOL browser...I believe it acts the same way as he is describing. I know that the AOL browser doesn't work with OWA Challenge Reponse - can someone tell me why? If I know why the AOL browser doesn't work, then perhaps I can tell my user why his IE browser isn't working [is his ISP proxying requests, is Javascript turned off, etc.].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back