Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 /NT4 admin for 8 months - SPAM ISSUES/Migration to 2k3ENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuntsvilleALGuy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2005
US
Hello all, we have an exchange 5.5 server, with NT 4.0.

Exchange 5.5 = SP3 as of right now, and will soon be at SP4.

Issues:

I inherited a job where the job culture for 4+ years before I took this job, was a no quota email system , with no email policy. It all caught up w/ the company recently, and the email system crashed when the database reached it's maximum capacity.

16GB

case told fast: we made users offload data, and kept things alot lower. People shaved on the average about 85% of their mail data.

here is a link to our reclaim:

about 5 days ago we did an offline defrag with:

eseutil /d /ispriv after removing 1gig of data, and it bumped us down to 15.8gb as stated in the pic. Which left us with around 15gigs when you divide by 1024. However, does anyone know if there are issues where a whole host of issues can arise if the system isnt "happy" with alot of space to work with? Lots of errors were happening after the initial DB crash. Just today, after everyone trimmed down, I ran another eseutil /d /ispriv, and reclaimed nearly 6 gigs. Seems the system is fine with a LOT more space to work with? Any known issues with ex 5.5 db max'd out, then reclaim slight space,b ut system still buggy, but really needs to go alot lower to be good with a proper sanity check?

Secondly, reverse NDR attacks.

We have all of the proper settings in the notifications button in the Internet Mail tab in the IMS. 2nd buble highlited, and 2nd option checked.

However, everytime I "Refresh" i constnatly see: <> as origin for wacked out spam mails. Are we still being used as a spam relayer, with them abusing NDR's?

We are still on exchange 5.5 Service PACK 3, not 4.

This website shows which options to choose: only send NDR's when duplicate mail entries are listed etc etc, and that is what is done, but bogus mails keep popping up when i click refresh in the outbound messages awaiting delivery in the queues tab in the IMS. anyone help?

we'll do SP4/NDR patch tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back