Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 NT4.0 To new Server running Exchange 5.5 and W2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchasse

MIS
Jan 24, 2002
US
I am Running a NT4.0 server w/Exchange 5.5 SP4 and am moving to a new server running Windows 2000 server and exchange 5.5 SP4?????
I would like some advice/articles from someone who may have done this before.

50 Mailboxes
3 Public Folders (Sharing Calendars)

Thanks

Use this article (Q155216) from MS

I know it doesnt talk about Win2K, but i found it to be the easiest method. Note that you will need to keep the same server name and IP info (i recommend keeping the same IP but it is not required), and install the IMC before copying the old DBs over. A good thing to do is defragment your DBs before moving them.

If you are moving to a new server, then keep your old server offline as a backup. If not then copy the DBs over to the network and rebuild the server using Win2K. Once the move is successfull, rename the old server before bringing it back online, and stop the exchange services. You will need to put it in a workgroup and then join it back to the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back