Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5: network error during host resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
CA
We are running Exchange Server 5.5. Recently I noticed there are some specific email address that cann't not be reached from our server( like home.com). It stays in outgoing queue for about 3 days and if double-click it, it says: network error during host resolution

We tested one email address from hotmail and it went through. So we know email address is good. So here is my question: is there something wrong with Exchange setting or DNS server doesn't do its work properly?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Amoy

I had a similar problem - but it had nothing to do with the exchange server... my firewall has pointing to two specific DNS server at our isp's.

For some reason - the dsn information they were returning was old - and useless.

I removed the two forwarders from my firewall and forced the firewall to use the ROOT servers that are specified in the config file (I'm using Raptor) - and it worked from that point on.

Now That COULD be it.. i dunno..

That's one suggestion anyways to rule out. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Thanks Al.

I figure a workaround of it by adding a specify domain in Exchange IMS connector. I still don't know it is DNS or Exchange Server's problem. Will look into it a bit and ...

thanks!

Amoy

I get the exact same error since i remember and i tested tried to replicate the error and found out that the exchange server will give you that error description when a client computer outlook sends an email to someone and that someone's mailbox does not exist or is restricted at the other end's exchange (outside: yahoo/hotmail/msn/netzero/etc. you can even do that test yourself and you will find out. Hope it helps.

Hello Amoy,

I have a similar problem.

How do I add a specify domain
in the IMS connector?

Regards

LittleEagle -- I'm assuming you are using windows 2000.

Assuming that then,.. you have to specify the domain within the Windows 2000 DSN box --

Right-Click My Computer | Properties | Network Identification Tab | Properties Button | More Button

It is in the Primary DNS Suffix for this computer box that you specify your domain.

You must specify the FQDN of the suffix of your email addresses.

SO if you email addies are: person@domain-name.com

Then you would put domain-name.com in that box.
Once you've done that - then you can install the IMS.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back