Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnugent

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2002
US
hello,

I want to upgrade 5.5 to 2k without changing my domain structure from NT to AD. I know this is possible, but I can't find any how-to's on how to do it. I want to migrate 5.5 to 2000 and once that is running fine, then upgrade all NT PDC's to 2000 w/ AD. My situation is:

1 NT PDC
2 NT BDC's
1 WIN2k server w\Exchange 5.5

to

1 NT PDC
2 NT BDC's
1 WIN2k server w\Exchange 2000

Thanks.

Do some reading at the links in the post in thread858-474481 , your answers could be there. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Also, you may want to restructure your upgrade plan.
You may find the best success and easiest upgrade path by upgrading your domain first.
Dana

BTW, it is NOT possible to run E2K on a server without any AD running! [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Actually, Marc's statement is correct, but needs a little clarification. (only because of what gnugent is trying to do)

It is possibe to setup a Win2k Exchange 2k server in an NT 4 environment. (But it does require the use of AD as Marc implies)

It is done as follows and does work.
(I don't rocomment it because it is more complex.)

Build a w2k server with it's own AD domain. install exch 2k on it. (forest prep, etc)

Create a two way trust relationship between the "new" domain and the old NT domain. Setup replication between the old exch 5.5 server and the exch 2k one. Use the mailbox migration tool to move over the mailboxes to the new server.

Users in the old domain will be able to access the new server.

But it's kind of messy when you try to cleanup, because you have two domains, and then if you want to remove the old server you will need to follow Microsofts explicit instructions for removing the server to avoid problems. Your users are in one domain, the mailboxes in another.
It's no fun. (and gets worse)

Better to upgrade the domain. As soon as that is stable, build a new exch 2k server, move the mailboxes to the new server. (do not try to up grade the existing 5.5 server to exch 2k. it's too risky.)

That's my 2 cents.
Dana

Ok, but, sorry, gnugent mentioned he was only planning to go to 2000 with AD AFTER the E2K install, so he stated himself he did not want any 2000 around, and that is why I said: not possible. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Marc, your statement still stands as true and correct. :)
"It is NOT possible to run E2K on a server without any AD running!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back