Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange 5.5 database help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan300

MIS
Mar 18, 2003
CA
We had our exchange 5.5 server running on a system that crashed too often, and I think the crashes have caused a problem in our database file... all services start fine, however once backup starts veritas finds corrupt mailboxes and take starts to crawl once it reaches them.

I found eseutil and isinteg but read they are to be used as a LAST resort. What is the best way to check and fix the exchange database?

How about running exmerge, in the just copy data NOT copy and delete from target, I think exmerge will either hang on the corrupt mailbox/s or report errors on it, you can then delete and re-create...

Hi Lan,

Isinteg is not harmful in fact it's the opposite, I would recommend running it in just test mode at first and depending upon the resulkts you could then use fix mode.

For future reference, exmerge DOES NOT migrate corruption and is possibly a good idea... it's also unlikely it would hang, typically if corruption is detected it will just leave that mail box behind. You can then manually move mail to a pst in small batches to try and save as much data for that user as possible.

Hope this helps,

Mark

PS: If Isinteg does detect some issues run it multiple times until fixes shows as 0

Running isinteg is a good idea as a starting point. If using the fix mode doesn't solve your problem, you may need to use the Esutil. NEVER use the Eseutil without performing an online backup of the databases (not a brick-level, though). If you can get a good backup, run the eseutil with the /p switch to perform a hard repair. If you plan to replace the hardware, see my FAQ that covers the procedure.

I would add that you need an OFFLINE backup of your Exchange server before running eseutil - you want the raw files backed up ready.

Have you thought of running chkdsk /f /r on the partition containing your Exchange databases? Stop the Exchange services first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back