Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Cannot Send External Mail 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgraffious

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2001
US
We are using exchange 5.5 and, can do email internally and we can receive email from the the outside. However, we cannot send email to external recepients. We had been able to until yesterday.

Yesterday, we were receiving some errors in the event log that pointed towards a problem with smtp and dns. Today, I reinstalled internet message service and now there ARE NO errors in the event logs that show any problems whatsoever.

In addition, I have looked in the messaging cues and there are no outbound messages waiting for delivery or conversion.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reconfigure the IMS to the same settings as it had before you removed it?

What happens when you send an outgoing external message? Does it appear on the queues? Does it blackhole, or do you get an NDR? If so, what does this say?

If think we're having the same problem but cannot figure why its doing so.

does the IMS have all the right setting in it for SMTP also is the IMS service started ok?

Yes, the IMS settings were all correct and the services were re-restarted many times. We did manage to get the outbound messages out of the queue but not until we pointed it to a diffferent exchange box and then it started working.

For about forty minutes we ran around like "chickens w/heads cutted off and started pointing fingers to our IRONPORT firewall but the IA guys kept telling us we wrong.

Well, the problem is fixed but I will continue to monitor the setting of the IMS as I suspect other SAs tempering with them.

Thanks for your quick feedback.

Thanks everyone, I went into the IMS and tinkered with the settins and got it up and running. Forgive me, but I don't recall exactly what I did to resolve the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back