Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbaker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2002
US
This morning I got the following error while trying to backup the Information Store and the Exchange Directory.

Unable to attach to \\JSE08\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
The device cannot be found.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\JSE08\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\JSE08\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
The device cannot be found.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\JSE08\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

We are running Backup Exec 8.6. I have been backing them up for over a year and a half and have never had a problem until today. The only thing that has changed is we did a few updates over the weekend. We installed MS03-46, MS01-047 and also changed the Restrict Anonymous setting from 0 to 1. After this we rebooted the exchange server. In the event log on the server we have the following messages:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeDS
Event Category: Security
Event ID: 1333
Date: 2/28/2004
Time: 8:39:03 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JSE08
Description:
The Microsoft Exchange Directory service could not log on to the Anonymous account. All anonymous LDAP and MAPI search requests will be denied. Verify that the anonymous account password is valid in the DS Site Configuration properties page.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

We don't allow any type of anonymous access so what account should be setup in the DS Site Configuration. I think it has to do with changing the allow anonymous access from 0 to 1 that started the problem but before I change it back, I want to be sure that's what's causing the problem. I have tried changing the exchange anonymous account to the domain administrator account to see if it was a permission problem but I am still getting the error.

Thanks

James

James

Change the following reg key on both the backup exec and exchange server..

HKLM\Software\Veritas\backup exec\engine\ntfs\restrict anonymous support to 1.
Restart BE services on both servers.

The key above does what the key you changed used to do, but only allow backup exec to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back