Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Backup Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamire

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
RW
I am currently running Exchange 5.5 which I am using arcserve to back it up but currently the arcserve cannot do the backup and it gives the error below:

E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME= Information Store, EC=Backup Agent Error ----- (68) "Error status in name pipe.".)

E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=Directory, EC=Backup Agent Error ---- (305) "Exchange Server Error. HrBackupOpenFile failed. Check Backup Agent Activity Log".)

Could someone give me the way forward on these errors. Might it be that my database in Exchange are inconsistent.

The Backup Agent is not starting and thus the backup of files failing. By the way can it be since my Information Store is 14GB that this may be the reason?

Hi,

have you try to fix the exchange database with eseutil and isinteg? When not you can make this to check the consistent but be careful you need to know that you do with this both tools (So Microsoft say it).

Regards
paxmortis

Hi,

We have te same error when backing up Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Win NT 4.0 SP6 server:

E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=Information Store, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (305) "Exchange Server Error. HrBackupOpenFile failed. Check Backup Agent Activity Log".)

We use ArcServe 2000 sp4 and backup Exchange over the network using Exchange agent of ArcServe 2000 sp4. We use this on all 6 of our Exchange servers (all same version) but it only fails on 2 of them! Bricklevel backup on the failed servers is working fine. We tried fixing the Exchange database of one of the servers that fail, but no errors were found. Earlier this week we rebooted one of the servers just before starting the backup. To our surprise the backup completed successfully. This was a one time success: the next day is failed again.
I don't think the size of the Exchange databases matters: with us it's the smaller databases (11 and 12 GB) that fail. The larger (44 GB) doesn't have any trouble at all.

Please help me!

Is circular logging enabled on the exchange server, by any chance?

Cheers
Knutern

No, we did a while ago, but we turned it off. Even if it was on it shouldn't be a problem because we only make full backups of Exchange.

Any other suggestions?
Thnx,

Louis

This solution you mentioned is for Exchange 5.5 with SP2. We are Running Exchange 5.5 with SP4. I looked in the registry anyway, but the "InBackupMode" key already had the value "0". So this didn't help. Thanks anyway.

Yesterday I put the Exchange agent in debugmode level 1 (see and here is the result of the logfile (C:\Program Files\ComputerAssociates\DBAXCHG\dbaexch.log):

11/27/03 00:20 Connect Exchange Backup Agent
11/27/03 00:20 Disconnect Exchange Backup Agent
11/27/03 00:21 Connect Exchange Backup Agent
11/27/03 00:21 Directory in Full Backup Mode
11/27/03 00:21 Directory removed from Backup Mode
11/27/03 00:21 Information Store in Full Backup Mode
11/27/03 01:01 MS Exchange Server Message -- Unable to find the file.

11/27/03 01:01 Information Store removed from Backup Mode
11/27/03 01:01 Exchange Server Error. HrBackupOpenFile failed. Check Backup Agent Activity Log
11/27/03 01:01 Backup Agent Error -- (305) "Exchange Server Error. HrBackupOpenFile failed. Check Backup Agent Activity Log".
11/27/03 01:01 Disconnect Exchange Backup Agent

To me this looks like the backup agent can't find one of the files of Exchange. Anyone any ideas?

I'll try to get more info by putting the Exchange agent in the highest debug mode (level 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back