Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2k Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenmcgregor

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2001
GB
Here is a problem I have inherited.

The Company has a server running NT4 sp6 and Exchange 5.5 sp4 that was the PDC. Someone tried a migration/move by installing a new W2K server as a backup DC demoted the old NT4 PDC to backup and promoted the W2K server to DC with active directory. All was running well and things were very stable. The W2K server also runs DNS, DHCP and WINS and a myriad of other things that I will resolve in the next few months.

Exchange 2k was then installed on the new W2K server and is joined with the old exchange 5.5 server. One mail box was moved to the Ex2K server and works well enough - the user can send and receive emails internally to everyone else on the Ex5.5 server and can see the 5.5 address book. Unfortunately any external email is still received by the Ex5.5 server and the user does not receive it.

I am new to Exchange and was wondering how best to proceed from this situation. I want to get rid of the Ex5.5 and NT4 box asap. Any help would be appreciated.

sounds like you didnt isntall the ADC (active directory connector)
ADC will make the exchange server appear as a 5.5 server
there needs to be a two way connection agreement between them so you can administer exchange 5x and 2000 servers through the system manager.
setup the ADC by starting setup in the \ADC\I386 directory of teh CD
You do need to have DNS and AD running on Win2000 servers to install the ADC
Its a wizard like all others so walk through it
youll create a service account during this wizard for the ADC, document it
Create a connection agreement in Admin. Tools|AD connector manager...choose new, reciepient agreement
Go to the properties of the conenctor after it is created....change it to two-way, and select the exchange server at the bottom, run through the rest of the proeprties and change what is needed...youll probabaly be able to tell if yiou have experience w/ exchange 5x
at this point you should be able to add the exchange 2000 box to the excahgne 5x site

do you have an exchange 2000 resource kit? it has a nice walk through in there if i remember right

Anyways I hope this helps you...and i hope i remembered it in the right order...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back