Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2013 Mailbox Dag and CAS Server Cluster Reboot Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

acabezas7

MIS
Mar 5, 2007
US
Hi All,

My current setup is 2 Mailbox Exchange 2013 servers and 2 CAS Exchange 2013 servers. Everything is working properly as far as mail flow, OWA, active sync and etc. I have only migrated 20 of my exchange 2007 users to my new environment. When I perform my maintenance and reboot my servers when I get all 4 servers back online I have issues with users on exchange 2013 connecting to exchange via outlook, owa, active sync and etc. My current procedure for rebooting exchange 2013 servers is as follows:
Mailbox servers - Server hosting the active copy on database I run the following PS scripts
Start EMS
- cd $exscripts
- .\StartDagServerMaintenance.ps1 -serverName <server>
- Reboot
- Start EMS
- cd $exscripts
- .\StopDagServerMaintenance.ps1 -serverName <server>
- .\RedistributeActiveDatabases.ps1 -DagName <dag_name> -BalanceDbsByActivationPreference:$true -Confirm:$false

Script runs fine and I see all databases are moved over to other mailbox server and are mounted and active. But all the component services on that server are inactive. Once rebooted server is back online I run stopdag script and node is back online within failover cluster manager and databases are redistributed. Next I proceed with the same process on the other mailbox server. After mailbox server reboots I just reboot the CAS servers which are being load balanced using Windows NLB. Once CAS servers are back online I am not able to connect to ECP or exchange 2013 via outlook, owa, active sync and etc. After about 30 mins everything starts working again. Is there a certain procedure I should be following when rebooting exchange 2013 DAG and CAS. Do I have to reboot mailbox or CAS servers first? Is the recommended procedure to following. Do I need to also put CAS servers into maintenance mode? Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back