Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2010 - tape backup for just C:/Exchange -process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blade1000

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2009
US
Hello

I am administering Exchange 2010 and would like to use tape backup for just the C:\Exchange files (I have dedicated luns for mail dbs and logs but the customer wants a local tape copy of the c:\exchange files etc etc)

I suppose my question is, should I backup the entire folder where Exchange is installed on c:? should I also backup the system state on that box?

Is there a decent article I could read thru?

Any info would be appreciated

blade

The first thing I would look at, even before doing backups, is the location of EVERY LOGGING SETTING for Exchange. Putting Exchange on c:\ isn't something I'd recommend. Exchange can generate more than a dozen different logs, and those are by default in subfolders of the installation folder.

As for your question, what are you protecting against? Full backups of everything everyday should be your starting point.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks Pat, yeah fullbackup, every night :)

blade

Your recovery plan should include the system state, all Exchange related folders, and the information store.

At the very least.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back