Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2010 sp2 upgrade failed at Client Access Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjtbt

MIS
Sep 26, 2001
US
I attempted to install Exchange 2010 sp2 this morning and it failed on the Client Access Role portion. This is on a Windows Standard 2008 R2 server...it's our only Exchange server. Here is the error on the screen:

Client Access Role
Failed

Error:
The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
$environmentVersion = [Environment]::Version.ToString(3) + ".0";
$aspNetPath = (get-itemproperty -path "hklm:\Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET\$environmentVersion" -name Path).Path;
$aspNetRegIisPath = join-path $aspNetPath "aspnet_regiis.exe";
start-SetupProcess -Name:"$aspNetRegIisPath" -Args:"-config+" -Timeout:120000;
" was run: "Timed out waiting for process to complete".

Timed out waiting for process to complete
Click here for help...

Elapsed Time: 00:09:24
Mailbox Role
Cancelled
Finalizing Setup
Cancelled

Any ideas?

I took a chance and rebooted the Exchange server and all the Exchange services started and the version shows as Version 14.2 (Build 247.5) which is correct...but I'm still concerned that it failed on the "Client Access Role" step and then cancelled out on the "Mailbox Role" and "Finalizing Setup" steps.

I can get into my Outlook account through the full client and also the OWA client and I can send and receive messages successfully. However, I have found out that at the least in the OWA client I cannot delete messages...it shows "unexpected error" when I try to delete a message. So I will assume that I will run into other issues as well since it didn't complete.

I got a suggestion on another forum to do the prerequisites again and reinstall. I originally added the features for the prerequisites under Web Server (IIS) through Server Manager from the instructions in the release notes, but I guess something must have been missing. I re-added them via a command line:

Add-WindowsFeature Web-WMI,Web-Asp-Net,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Client-Auth,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Http-Redirect,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Static-Content

and then ran the upgrade again this time with "Setup /Mode:Upgrade /InstallWindowsComponents" to ensure everything was installed.

It installed correctly this time and all is well. Not sure why it failed the first time since all those components appeared to be installed originally, but as long as it works now, I won't worry about it. Now on to see if rollup 4v2 will work successfully.

Just an FYI: I've noticed lately that the latest rollup doesn't actually escalate properly when you run it, even though it's an msp/msi file. Because of this, it fails during installation. I've had to create an escalated command-line and then run the rollup install from there.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks for the tip...mine did run ok, although it took much longer than expected. The only issues I ran into after was with the OWA client.

We were getting "Outlook Web App didn't initialize...couldn't find a base theme...". I fixed it by running c:\program files\microsoft\exchange\exchange server\v14\Bin\UpdateCas.ps1.

We were also getting an error if users were using http instead of https to run the OWA client. This was fixed by turning off "Require SSL" in the SSL Settings page of the Default Web Site in IIS. I guess the SP2 update turns this option on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back