Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2007 / Outlook 2007 / Windows Desktop Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmoat

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
Are there many admins out there that have deployed Windows Desktop Search in order to maximise the capabilities of the inbuild Outlook 2007 client within an Exchange 2007 environment?

I am interested as to whether any medium to large user bases have implemented and what its effects were on the Exchange environment?

All users in my environment actually utilise cached mailboxes which I belive ensures that indexing is all done locally but I wanted to know whether WDS 4.0 was an accepted business tool amongst Exchange/Outlook admins?

Has anyone instead deployed Google's search tool?

The inbuilt search functionality within Outlook 2007 is...errr..rubbish! If I recall it even recommends you install WDS when you first install Outlook?

I have installed Windows Search in my PC, and it never did a proper search in Outlook cache, or pst. After that I installed Google Desktop, and it works fine.

WDS 4.0 seems to work very well with cached mailboxes and PST files on the test users I have using it.

I need to get the GPO to ensure that it indexes their Bosses mailboxes to which they have delegated rights.

The search bar in Outlook 2007 is useless without installing WDS so I am surprised not many admins feel forced into installing it. My users need the search tool to perform much better - as I am still trying to convince them that Outlook performs much better than their old GroupWise system its little things like this that are irritating me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back