Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2007 failover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apc1234

Technical User
Jun 19, 2009
US
Hello all,

I have been asked to design an Exchange environment, where if one site fails, all emails are automatically routed to the secondary site and everything should occur in the background without any input from the end user.

The catch is that our end user's are still using Outlook 2003. I know of CCR, but am not sure how to setup a secondary HUB, (including send and receive connectors), CAS. Are there any documentation available that can take me step-by-step through the entire setup?

Thanks in advance.

Site failover should be a manual event after management decides to do it.

There is a LOT of planning that goes into this. You should consider bringing in a consultant.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

The problem with automagic failover is that there is no magic. A network connectivity issue can be easily confused with a site outage. The site disaster declaration process should be manual.

Given that, I just finished implementing a 3 site, 84,000 seat Exchange 2007 environment with complete manual site failover capability. The RTO was two hours and the RPO 1 hour. It can be done. One of the major milestones, part of the acceptance actually, was failover of a site comprising 32,000 user mailboxes within the prescribed RTO and RPO objectives. It was successful.

XMSRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back