Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2007 and VMware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2008
US
I know Exchange is not supported by Microsoft under a third-party virtualization product however I'm looking to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding this. The setup if we go this route would be Exchange 2007 single server running on an ESX Enterprise cluster on HP blades and EMC storage. Just thoughts on this setup from more experience Exchange gurus.

Thanks

Just be aware that exchange 2007 uses a heap more system resources form a memory and CPU perspective and significantly less disk resources.

I don't believe virtualising it makes good sense personally especially with the half a dozen different ways out of the box for HA/DR solutions.

I agree. The only plausible feature I've seen in VMWare that helps is vmotion. With the high availability already available in Exchange 2007, as theravager mentioned, it often doesn't make sense to virtualize.

Exchange likes lots of RAM, and flawless disk I/O. Kinks in either will substantially affect performance. So, why would you then put it into a virtual environment and split up the processor, RAM, and disk resources with other servers?

Pat Richard MVP

For live Exchange servers, virtualising is daft. For testing, it makes sense but isn't supported.

So you guys think that the overhead and separation created even by something like pure HyperV+Core or ESX on a system that will only support the single E2007 VM is still not worth the ability to have a truly hardware-agnostic install for bare-metal and movement scenarios? Also consider the cost of setting up clusters... What about virtualizing E2007 in this sort of way in the context of a 200 to 500-user environment, in which clustering may be too expensive, but quick restorability/portability might have a premium value? Would it be better to just invest in a bare-metal imaging solution?

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Exchange 2007 every in pretty large environments run fine on iscsi there is no need to have a expensive SAN unless you have one laying around from a 2003 environment.

LCR or CCR makes restorability pretty much a moot point and exchange 2007 databases are portable by their nature.

Unless its a really tiny environment, virtualisation is going to be more expensive particularily in the memory department and if its a very large environment you are not going to beat building the system on blades for TCO or availability imo.

I agree. The recommendation nowadays is away from SANs and towards DAS anyways. LCR, SSC, CCR, and SCR all give us great options, as does NLB for CAS & HT, and Edge Cloning for ET.

I generally have no problems achieving 4 9's even without clustering when using a properly configure, properly equipped installation.

Pat Richard MVP

Sure, but you'd have to watch the Train Signal DVD to find out how.... :)

Pat Richard MVP

Just be aware that exchange 2007 uses a heap more system resources form a memory and CPU perspective and significantly less disk resources."

I'd tend to agree with that statement for the mailbox role. For the HUB/CAS roles virtualization might be worth considering. Of course, now that Hyper-V is out that's the supported path.

John

John said:
Of course, now that Hyper-V is out that's the supported path.{/quote] Or at least the potential path, as I don't believe the official word on support for 2007 has been publicly released yet.

A star for John for his answer.

Pat Richard MVP

There was a official announcement the other day about 2007 on hyper-v. I didn't take much notice of it but i think it mentioned within a month the supported configuration will be availible.

I think they are publishing at tech-net

Right from the horses mouth:

# Within 60 days of Hyper-V's RTM, the Exchange team will publish a detailed support statement for Hyper-V, and a TechNet article with best practices. I'm part of the Exchange Virtualization Working Group and will be helping to deliver some of this content.
# Customers should not deploy Exchange on Hyper-V until our support guidance is available.

Pat Richard MVP

Within 60 days was the official word from the Exchange Team. I can't imagine MS not supporting their own product in the interim. I'd hazard a guess that the assumption of support is a safe bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back