Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 : User deleted a subfolder from Inbox. How to recover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafRey

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2003
US
Hello all,

I have a user that accidentally deleted a subfolder from her inbox in Outlook 2003 a couple of weeks ago. We are on Exchange Server 2003. I retrieved the Exchange.bkf file from a tape from that night.

When recovering using NTBackup, I don't see a way to recover the databases without overwriting the current files. I certainly don't want to do that.

Do I need to build a new Exchange server in order to retrieve the database files and then create a .pst from there?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated and be worth a few karma points.

Thanks!

-Raf

Did you check if it was still in the Deleted Items folder?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

She cleared her Deleted Items folder, so it is long gone.
:-(

Do you have deleted item retention turned on in which case use that. If not, turn it on for future problems and use RSG as per above.

As Zel says and I was eluding to, even if she cleared her deleted items, if you're deleted items retension was set and goes back far enough, it will still be there.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. DaveToo nailed it, the folder was sitting in her Deleted Items box. She swears it was not there before!

Thanks,

Raf

Repeat after me:
" All users are liars "

All joking aside, make sure you have a few weeks in the deleted items retention setting. That will save your keester in times like this.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back