Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 to Qmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0stAngel

Programmer
May 5, 2005
US
Hello everyone, I have a question. I want to migrate a companies mail software from Exchange 2003, to Qmail. Is there an easy way to do this? I have about 50 mail boxes, and I know that exchange keeps the pst files on the server (not individual pst files on the clients computer)...What features will no longer exist when migrating to qmail? The only one I noticed was the calendar system.

Missing features in qmail core from Exchange:
Common Address Book,
Calendaring (personal and shared),
Public folders,
Archives.
(maybe some other nuance features)

Under qmail these are largely replicated/replaced based upon the email client you use. You can still use Outlook as your email client against qmail and you can maintain a local calendar, do your own archiving, and maintain your own contacts. The same can be said of other clients such as Eudora, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.

More than likely the "enterprise" workflow and common pools of data (address book, calendars) will be what you miss most.

There are several threads in this forum where others have suggested qmail-based Exchange solutions where qmail is extended by other services to more directly emulate Exchange.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

The ability to send a meeting request...and all parties that accept it, will set a note in their outlooks calendars will still work right?

Hmmmm.... This gets a bit fuzzy since I'm not an Outlook professional.

I would presume that if you took an example of an Outlook user who is trying to send an invitation to another Outlook user on another Internet domain, you'd have the correct context. Meaning, there are no Exchange-support agents/services running for the recipient to leverage so it's all dependent upon what the client software can handle.

In the case of meetings/appointments, I believe they are delivered in a particular file format/attachment and should function. You won't have the benefit of seeing shared calendars in monitoring the recipient's schedules.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back