Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowbug

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2003
GB
I have a Exchange 2003 server which is really showing it's age it is the PDC running windows 2003 with another windows 2003 server running as a fileserver as a member server. I want to keep the server the same name and i have looked at the MS article "How to Move Exchange Server to a New Computer That Has the Same Name" it semi applies to what i want to do but before i go feet first and upset it all has anyone here got any helpful tips?
I'm fairly sure i will have to demote the Exchange 2003 server to a member server and promote the Fileserver in it's place then follow the sketchy MS article...

The other way if posible is to setup the new server with Exchange 2003 on it and run the existing exchnage 2003 server as a front end server for OWA and mobile sync, but i'm not really sure how this works regarding which computer is taking the load? Is it the front end server or the back end server or do they share? This would be my perferred option.

Any help will be great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back