Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 to 2010 Migration - Public Folders stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrayc

MIS
Jan 5, 2012
US
Hello everyone,

I am performing a migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010, using Microsoft's Exchange Deployment Checklist as my primary guide. The setup I'm working with is as follows:
- Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 32-bit box.
- Exchange 2010 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit box.
- Client Access Server, Hub Transport, and Mailbox server roles installed on Exchange 2010 Server and connector established between servers.
- Mailboxes moved to Exchange 2010 server.
- Smarthost on Exchange 2010 server for GFI Faxmaker (originally on Exchange 2003 server).
- The only “nonstandard” item in our setup is that the receive connector for Exchange 2010 emails listens on Port 24 instead of Port 25 (so that our X-Wall spam filter can listen on Port 25 first).
All attempts to move the Public Folders (which are all various shared contact or calendar folders) to the Exchange 2010 server have been unsuccessful, even though a Public Folders Database has been created on the Exchange 2010 server (as PFDB01).
The first replication effort after setting up the new Public Folder database was through the recommended route of running the “MoveAllReplicas.ps1” script in Exchange Management Shell yielded no results, but also no errors. The second effort was “Public Folder Group” in Exchange Administrative group, setting PFDB01 as a replication partner, and dragging folders from First Administrative Group to Exchange Administrative Group through Exchange System Manager. Our indications that our efforts have failed are that the public folders cannot be accessed through the Public Folder Management Console in Exchange Management Console, as well as Exchange System Manager indicating that all of the public folders are still connected to our Exchange 2003 server (even though the folder group is in the Exchange Administrative Group).
My supervisor and I checked the Role Based Access Control and got another surprise – namely that our domain “Administrator” account (which was used for all setup to this point) could not access Role Based Access Control, even though that account was in the Organizational Management, Public Folder Management, and Server Management roles by default. However, my supervisor (with higher permissions), could access this feature, as could I with my regular domain credentials (once my account was added to those roles). The Exchange 2003 server was not in the Exchange Server Group initially, but adding it in and retrying the replication yielded no success.
The next effort was to create new test versions of two of the public folders in PFDB01, but their contents aren’t visible within our network (but can be seen outside through Outlook). No errors have been found in the event logs.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions anyone can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back