Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 STD to ENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karidian

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
I am replacing an aging server with a new one and am having issues with moving mailboxes from one server to the other. Is there a way to have both servers running while moving mailboxes so that I have no down time?

Server 1 is Exchange 2003 Standard on Win03 R2 and Server 2 (replacement) is Exchange 2003 Enterprise on Win03 R2.

Rob Pierce, Systems Administrator
Lipo Chemicals, Inc.

Yes, you should be able to move mailboxes between the two servers using the move mailbox wizard. There will be no downtime for the user, however, Outlook can sometimes be a little sluggish during the migration. For this reason, it's usually best to schedule the mailbox moves out of hours.

If you can't use the move mailbox wizard for any reason, you can perform an exmerge. Because you do this on individual mailboxes, you will only affect the user whose mailbox you are currently migrating. You need to:

1. Exmerge the mailbox to a pst file
2. detach the existing user's mailbox from their AD account (basically delete their mailbox). Ensure that you have deleted mailbox retention in place so that you can roll back if necessary)
3. Create a new mailbox for the user
4. Import the data into the new mailbox.

Ben Christian
MCSE, MCSA:Messaging

Thanks for the info. We are in the process of moving the mailboxes. Slo go, but it is working. I'll be sure to keep the EXMerge available in case I need it.

Rob Pierce, Systems Administrator
Lipo Chemicals, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back