Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange 2003 SP2 communicates with domain controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhitson

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
I have seen where SP2 has changed the way Exchange communicates with the domain controller, is there a KB article on what this change is?

Thanks

Exchange expands the schema to include the Exchange attributes for user objects and to make AD aware of the Information Store, etc.

You may not be aware that you need to install SP2 on your DCs if they have the Exchange tools installed (so you see Exchange tabs on user objects).

You can view the schema extensions by looking at the .ldf files in the \i386

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark.
I have 3 DCs.
I guess I need to install SP2 and Tools on the other 2
(non exchange) DCs?

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Yes, if you intend on connecting to them to do ADUC maintenance, or if you want the Exchange Admin tools available.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

no they dont.
I tried to install SP2 on my XP Pro and it required a
running copy of exchange 2003 to be installed first.

Any ideas?

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

You need to install the tools before you can install SP2.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

confusing.
What is a tool?
There is a dependency on the Exchange Server installer for exchange to be installed before the tools. Thats where is says I cant install Exchange on XP.

Exchange Server Tools link on microsoft.com is a collection of add-ons. NOt the same thing.

I just want to add users.....
much harder than console one....

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Install the Windows 2003 Adminpak

Make sure you have the required services running on the workstation, including NNTP, SMTP and IIS.

Then, insert your Exchange CD and start the setup. Install JUST the Exchange Management Tools. When that's done, install SP2.

It WILL work.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back