Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 SMTP Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbhunt

MIS
Nov 9, 1998
I just updated my Exchange 2003 server to SP2 over the weekend. It looked like everything was fine, until I came in this morning anyway. It looks like we are having some issues with OUTBOUND e-mails. I see a number of messages stuck in the SMTP queue on Retry with the following error message: "The connection was dropped by the remote host."

This is accompanied in the event logs with a number of 4006 events.

The unusual thing about this is that there are a handful of domains that we are having problems with, but most others are going out fine.

I've checked and rechecked my SMTP virtual server settings, stopped and restarted both the SMTP service and the SMTP virtual server, and I just don't see what is holding these messages up. I've even run the SMTPDIAG tool using some of the recipient addresses that are stuck in the queue, and that reports no problems.

Not sure where to go from here. I am going to try a reboot, but I can't do that until close to midnight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back