Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 server, vm recovery... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieFuller

Programmer
May 2, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I need to recover some emails from our virtual (vmware) outlook 2003 server, we have full nightly backups of the virtual machine.

I restored the whole machine as a clone and can boot the server up,I was hoping to just use exmerge to extract a pst with the missing emails however I have to have it unplugged from the network so that it doesnt interfer with the live server.

Because it isn't connected to the network, the store service doesnt run and exmerge cannot communicate with it, I tried entering "localhost" as the server name but no luck.

Its frustrating knowing I have everything I need right there but cannot access it.

Is there any tool or other method I can use to get the data off?

Thanks for any advice.
Jamie

Kindest Regards
Jamie

Thanks Zelandahk,

Unfortunately I can't bring it up in the live environment as it will cause conflicts.

I've heard of some third party software that recovers from the edb and stm files, I might have to give that a go.

I guess having a full vm backup isn't good enough for our backup needs. The software we use does allow for application level backups and I have changed the backup to do that now but it doesn't help me recover the data now.

Thanks again.

Kindest Regards
Jamie

If you've got Exchange in a VM, can't you take a VM of a DC and spin that up in the VM environment? That's the way I do it. Isolate the 2, run them up and away you go.

Just copy the .edb and .stm file from the clone server to the live server and put it into a separate folder and then create a recovery storage group on the production server, move the databases into it and then mount. From there you can do an exmerge of the mail that you need and not have to mess with all this hassle.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Dave - I got thrown by the VM thought and didn't think about that. Have a star on me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back