Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Server Antivirus Software Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

marzIT

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2006
CA
Hello All,

We setup an Exchange Server for our Small Office of 20 employees.

We are looking for a good Antivirus Software for the Exchange Server and good price as well.

Has anyone installed Grisoft AVG Email Server Edtion.

thanks,
MP

Sybari's Antigen ships with -8- different AV engines, and will use up to 4 of them to scan your email. VERY POWERFUL.

Microsoft bought them last fall. They have always been viewed as one of the two best Exchange based AV solutions.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Well, unless they've vastly improved Antigen, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. It might be powerful, but god it slows things down.

For a small business, I've had good results with Avast! Certainly the price is much cheaper than elsewhere, and the scanning appears to be robust.

Just to throw another idea into the mix, have you looked at external AV/antispam providers, like Postini or MessageLabs? They can provide pretty cheap solutions for SMBs - it might be worth getting some pricing there. You certainly get savings in management costs

AVG does the job fine, without the load a Norton or other puts on it.
However, it is always good practice to keep it seperate, in other words, you can get your hands on any old PC, make it an SMTP gateway an scan there BEFORE the mail get to the Exchange Server.
Anything you put on the Exchange Server will reduce performance, remember that!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I've used Symantec (expensive but good) and CA eTrust (cheaper but not as intuative to manage. Both work well. You can get a free trial of the CA from the website.

I've got Symantec's product on probably 100 email servers. I just put CA' eTrust on another. I'm still for Antigen. No performance issues that's I've seen.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Trend's ScanMail has high marks and is less expensive than Sybari/MS solution. I agree about the separate SMTP, but that doesn't protect stuff sent via Webaccess. So if a home user comes in via Webaccess and sends an e-mail with an infected file attached from his home PC, it would not be caught by the SMTP gateway solutions. So I would still have AV on the Exchange server itself. Same issue with remote Outlook connections through a VPN.

R.Sobelman

I can agree up to a point with remote issues, but .. that is outgoing mail, so other measures (workstation protection) should avoid that. If anyone is worried there may be a virus on a home PC, then that home PC should never be granted access in the first place!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I agree on the remote/vpn. But you can't really control Webaccess. Even if it is a front end server, the user could be using IE from ANY PC and if they attached a file to an e-mail through Webaccess, that file is coming from the local PC - hence the open door for a virus.

Bottom line, Exchange server should have AV installed on it. You'll sleep better at night.

R.Sobelman

cool..

I'll install Grisoft AVG for our Exchange 2003 Server.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back