Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 SBS Incoming mail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRollinson

Technical User
Jan 11, 2004
GB
We have just deployed SBS2003 and are using Exchange for mail.

The server sits behind a firewall and has a private address (192.168.0.1). The DNS for our mail server has been updated to point to the external address of the firewall. The firewall in turn has been configured to forward all requests to port 25 to the private address.

The host name is mail.company.com

We were previously using the mail server on our dedicated raq provided by an ISP. I have left the mail2.company.com address pointing to this device.

I can telnet to port 25 from the net by opening up a session to the public address of the firewall (and mail.company.com) but when I send a "HELO mail.company.com" command it does not recognise it. If, however, I send a "HELO company.com" command it replies OK and I sent an email to my own inbox using the telnet interface.

I am presuming that incoming mails are requesting to send messages to mail.company.com and the server responds with a "command not recognised" and the mail is then shunted to the mail2.company.com server.

We are collecting mail from the remote server via POP3 and relaying it to the correct inbox but I need the Exchange server to accept mail directly.

What do I need to configure?

Many thanks in advance for help on this.

Regards
Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back