Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 POP & OWA difficulties 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPang

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2003
CA
Hello everyone,

In the attempt to teach myself new things, I've been trying to setup Windows 2003 Standard Server and Exchange 2003 in a test lab at the office in my spare time.

I've gotten a new domain, Active Directory, Windows 2003 Standard Server, and Exchange 2003 operating quite nicely. The problem I have now is two fold:

- POP Access. When I use the System Manager and attempt to start the POP service, it comes back telling me that the service didn't respond in time and cannot fire up. Event Manager doesn't give me any clues on why not. Is there a configuration setting I need to make?

- OWA. I understand from some articles that Exchange 2000 and 2003 automatically install the OWA components. Is there any further configuration? When I try to browse to I automatically get a 500 Internal Server error. When I look at the IIS (yes, it's all running), the exchange virtual directory is actually empty, but the exchweb has stuff in it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi

More info is required for the first part... What is the speed of your machine etc, whats in event viewer. for the second problem, you need to switch off friendly http errors. internet properties\advanced\show friendly http errors and give the exact error.

:)

Dave

I just b4 doing any more trouble shooting make sure the service as beenn started for pop under the services .. that could be why its timing out

Pablo

start up the exchange pop3 service and the exchange imap4 service in your service manager

I am getting the same problem starting the pop3 service.

If I go into Exchange System Manager and drill-down to the virtual POP server on my mail server, and try to start it, the following happens: the server chuggs for a bit then displays "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details."

I've checked all the event views, and they contain nothing relating to this whatsoever.

Turned out that pablobsd was right. The service was disabled. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back