Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003, NetDiag & WINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeveck

Programmer
Jun 6, 2005
US
I am trying to setup a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server. I am trying to install it on a computer running Windows Server 2003 SP1 which is also the DC and running DNS. All configurations are more-or-less default.

As I worked through the MSEX "pre-install" checklist I ran NetDiag.exe and got the warnings:

Code:
    Computer Name: JOHANN
    DNS Host Name: johann.testlab.com
    System info : Windows 2000 Server (Build 3790)
    Processor : x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel
    List of installed hotfixes :
        KB898715
        Q147222

Per interface results:

Adapter : Local Area Connection

Host Name. . . . . . . . . : johann
        IP Address . . . . . . . . : 10.100.76.48
        Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
        Default Gateway. . . . . . : 10.100.72.1
        Dns Servers. . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1

WINS service test. . . . . : Skipped

Global results:
    [WARNING] You don't have a single interface with the <00> 'WorkStation Service', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names defined.
These warnings concerned me so I added the WINS role to the server and set the LAN properties to look at 127.0.0.1 for the primary WINS host.

If I go into Manage WINS and do "Display Records" I can see records, so they are at least getting registered.

But now NetDiag says:

Code:
Per interface results:

Adapter : Local Area Connection

Host Name. . . . . . . . . : johann
        IP Address . . . . . . . . : 10.100.76.48
        Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
        Default Gateway. . . . . . : 10.100.72.1
        Primary WINS Server. . . . : 127.0.0.1

WINS service test. . . . . : Failed
            The test failed.  We were unable to query the WINS servers.

Global results:
    [WARNING] You don't have a single interface with the <00> 'WorkStation Service', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names defined.
I can make the WARNING go away if I enable the Messenger service (which Win2K3 has disabled by default).

Soo...

[ul]
[li]Do I need WINS for Exchange 2003?[/li]
[li]Any idea why NetDiag would say it cannot query the WINS server?[/li]
[li]Do I need Messenger for Exchange 2003?[/li]
[/ul]

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've been at this for some time now.

Erm...

So I changed the LAN properties from 127.0.0.1 to 10.100.76.48 and everything seems to work.

Why should this matter? Why do I have to "hard code" the WINS server to make NetDiag happy? WTF?

Unless you have pre W2K clients, you don't really need wins to the best of my knowledge. You running netbios?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

using the 127.0.0.1 address means you are pointing to the localhost (127.0.0.1 is hardcoded as that). If you then tell the other clients to look to 127.0.0.1 as the WINS server they will look at themselves.

As for Glens' comment above, he is correct, you only need WINS on machines running pre AD aware OS's, all name registration and resolution is carried on via DNS on AD aware OS's.

My problem was that on the server itself 127.0.0.1 wasn't working. I had had the clients set to the server's IP, it was just that the WINS server couldn't seem to find itself.

As to Exchange and WINS...I am pretty sure it isn't that simple...but I really cannot find any source explaining it in full. For example:

Primary WINS Server. . . . : 127.0.0.1
You should always have dns pointing to external dns servers first, then themselves using the actual ip address. 127.0.0.1 is the default ip address of ALL nics, so you won't get any real resolution doing that. As for wins, that will just cause extra traffic, so I'd get rid of it. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

Wha? That doesn't seem right. That would imply that name resolution for your internal network would go out to the external DNS server and then only check your internal network when once the external server's come back saying they can't resolve it...that seems like a huge security risk and waste of resources. ??

Sorry, wrote that backward. Internal dns servers point to themselves first, then to externals. All clients point only to internal dns server. What happens is when a client tries to resolve a name, it goes to the internal server, and if the internal server has it in cache, the client gets the name resolve at once. If the internal server does not have it in cache, the internal server contacts the external server, and when it is resolved it's then in the internal servers cache. Sorry, need another Heineken. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back