Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Native Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen3rd

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
GB
I think i know the answer to this but i would like some other opinions.

We currently have an Exchange 5.5 Org and are about to intall Exchange 2003 and create a new Org. The 5.5 Org has never been conected to AD.

If 5.5 Org is called XYZ for example and the 2003 Org is called 123, can i switch the 2003 Org to Native and then carry out my migration? (Names are not important it is just to make things clearer)

From what i have read the New Org can be switched to Native right away.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks

Stephen

you can NOT connect to 5.5 in Native Mode.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

The reason i ask is because i have just read in the Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide.

"You are ready to change your Exchange 2003 organisation to native mode if: Your Exchange 5.5 servers exist in an organisation that is seperate from your Exchange 2003 servers."

So in theory i could switch my 2003 servers to native as they are seperate from my 5.5 org.

Your theory is correct, you can use 5.5 NEXT to 2003, but not together.
adecco123's line kind of sums it up.

But you mentioned to go native and THEN migrate, THAT is a nono! You have to migrate first!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back