Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Migration to new cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtaylor511

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
GB
I'm wondering if someone can give me some general pointers on a task I have coming up soon...

Background:

I've recently moved companies and now use Exchange instead of Lotus Notes. As the IT Manager my team will be handling the bulk of a migration task but having never done an Exchange server move themselves before we want to take our time and be prepared...after all what we have works so why rush.

We are just a remote office of a group and part of the larger Win2k AD.

Our Exchange server sits on our only DC where we have very restircted access.

The box is not that highly spec'd and the company is growing. Due to the AD set up we have very limited admin ability over our Exchange environment and that causes us some issues.

We are using Exchange 2003 and only have about 200 mailboxes, but this is constantly growing at a reasonable rate.

Little or no resilience exists as mail has never been considered critical before, and hence no failover either.

Our Aim:

Create a new clustered Exchange 2003 environment to provide resilience and facilitate future growth. (hardware not yet purchased) Disk will be on an existing small SAN.

Remove the Exchange environment from the DC to give us more control over it.

Simple hey...

Having never done this before and knowing that the server that currently holds Exchange will remain in place as the DC, we want to cpature any issues we may face in achieving this change and plan for them.

Obviously not as easy as creating the cluster, moving Exchange to it and simply change the credentials of the machine to be the original server details....

So what do we need to consider, at a high level, for the server(s) and the clients?

any help would be appreciated...sorry if this is a long message but everyone always seems to ask for more info.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back