Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Mail Server hostname in greeting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR7758

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
I'm troubleshooting sporadic mail problems and after running on DNSReports.com I discovered that our exchange 2003 server gives an invalid hostname in the greeting, and telnet to the mail server has very odd behavior.
Here is the Header in the greeting using an external source:
220 **********************************************************************0*2************************20 ****200********2***0*00
When I telnet to it internally I get this:
220 mail.domain.mydomain.net Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0.2195.6713 ready at Fri, 20 May 2005 15:44:26 -0400

Why do I get different output from the same server when I’m just doing a NAT for this address?
Has anyone seen this before, and how did you resolve this?
Thank you!

If Google can't help, nothing can.
S.R.

That is your firewall. You need something like a fixup protocol smtp (that's Cisco speak). Translate for your firewall.

Thanks for the reply.
I ran show fixup on our PIX and I do see "fixup protocol smtp 25". Is there anything else I should be checking for? I can post a running config if necessary.
Thanks,

If Google can't help, nothing can.
S.R.

Choices:

1. Leave it. It hides the fact that you are using Exchange. Quite handy. The mail will still flow.
2. Use the line "no fixup protocol smtp" (you don't need the 25 as that is the same as smtp) to remove it from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back