Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 install into 5.5 Org error

Status
Not open for further replies.

adfreek

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm at a client doing an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration. We're at the point where we want to install the first Exch2k3 server into the existing 5.5 Org, however, I'm running into an error during the install.

The error is:

"You cannot join an existing Exchange 5.5 Organization if the first Exch2000 or Exch2k3 was not installed into the same 5.5 Organization."

I assumed that someone from the client in the past attempted an install of Exch2k3 not knowing what they were doing and selected "create a new org" during the install. I confirmed that a past employee did attempt this but it gave him an error message so he "canceled out of the install".

Either way, the forest still thinks that person attempted to create an Org, correct? How can I clean this up so that I can install this first Exchange 2003 server into the existing 5.5 Org?

Many Thanks

Hi!
These are the steps which MS recommends for removing Exchange 2000/2003 from Active Directory:

forum.gif
NetoMeter

Thanks. This seems dangerous, any thing I should do to be safe?

Its been along time since ive been on - and im roughly in the same territory - but you have got your ADC in place...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back