Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmtoth

MIS
Sep 7, 2005
US
I was hoping someone could give me some advice on an issue we are having.

We have an Exchange 2003 and DC(Windows 2003 Server) server behind a Cisco PIX 506e router. Everything works great, however the company that installed the servers for us, named our domain wrong.
So our root domain is not correct.

However, this has never been a problem until now. Now more and more companies are using some type of reverse lookup to make sure the domain name matches up with the IP address.

Well, since our domain name was named wrong, the external address of our firewall, does not match our domain name.

So here is what I've considered doing:

1) Scrapping everything, and rebuilding the DC/AD from scratch using the correct domain name...however this would be a MAJOR pain in the A$$.

2) Setting up some type of gateway email server on the outside of the firewall that has it's own public IP address and the correct name(mail.correctdomain.com). It recieves all the email, and then forwards it to the Exchange server that's behind the firewall.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Your internal DNS is completely seperate from the external DNS that would be used for reverse lookup, so no need to rebuild the domain.

How does email flow in your org?

ie inbound - Sender Server -> Your Pix F/w ->Forwards to your mail server

outbound - Your server -> Recipient Server
or
Your server -> smart host -> recipient server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back